Saturday, 3 October 2015

Oreo Cupcakes

As I grew up, I spent a lot of time at my grandparents house and we always did a lot of baking together. They recently got a new kitchen so I decided to go round their house and christen the new kitchen with some yummy oreo cupcakes. As you can imagine, it was quite a fun experience especially as my nan didn't know what oreos were!


For the cupcakes, we used
175g butter
175g caster sugar
3 eggs
50g cocoa powder
125g self-raising flour
1 pack of oreos

1) Preheat oven to 180. Line cupcake tin with cases- we made 12 cupcakes out of this mix.
) Mix butter and sugar together
2) Beat eggs together and add to butter and sugar mix
3) Add cocoa powder and flour slowly
4) Either put an oreo in the bottom of each cupcake case, or crush the oreos with a rolling pin and add to the cake batter. We did 6 cupcakes with an oreo in the bottom, and crushed the other oreos left in the packet to make it a surprise for which cakes had the oreos in :)
5) Divide the mixture out evenly between the cases and bake for around 15 minutes- ours needed a little longer.


For the frosting, we used
100g butter
200g icing sugar
1 pack of oreos
I've also made the frosting with 100g cream cheese in before, and I actually think it tastes better this way but we didn't have any so we went with just the 3 ingredients.

1) Add butter into mixing bowl and mix for a few minutes until it is super soft and creamy.
2) Sift in icing sugar a little bit at a time.
3) Take 6 oreos out of the packet and cut in half- we actually cut all the oreos in the packet in half so we could choose the best looking ones to be the toppers.
4) Put the remaining oreos in a ziplock bag and crush with a rolling pin.
5) Add the crushed oreos to the buttercream mixture- the key here is to not overmix the mixture.
6) Spoon the mixture on to the top of the cupcakes when they are fully cooled, then add a half oreo as a topper. We couldn't get the piping back to work for this as I think some of the oreo pieces were blocking it :(
7) Eat and enjoy :)



There you go! Yummy chocolatey oreo goodness. Let me know how they turn out if you decide to make them!


6 comments:

  1. Oh they look so so good! I was thinking about making cupcakes today!! I need a new cupcake pan though.

    Renee | Lose The Road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually baked banana chocolate chip cupcakes today so I'll post about those too soon.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh these look so so yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so tasty! I was sad when they were all gone :(

      Delete
  3. Those look so good - very well done! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete